Subway® Hits Refresh With Pro Athletes In Brand Relaunch Kickoff
Toronto, ON (April 26, 2022) – As Subway continues to evolve and improve, the brand is hitting refresh after asking and listening to what Canadians are saying. Enter: The Eat Fresh™ Refresh – The kickoff of a brand relaunch from Subway that celebrates changes including five refreshed sandwiches, refreshed ingredients like deli-style ham and turkey and smashed avocado, a refreshed app experience, and even some fresh faces.
A sister campaign to the work in the US, Canada’s Eat Fresh Refresh features professional athletes Mark McMorris and Leylah Fernandez with a uniquely Canadian approach, which allows the athletes to explore being themselves on camera. The campaign brings to life new changes happening at Subway and is a significant moment in the brand's transformation journey.
“Seeing Mark and Leylah as pro athletes / amateur spokespeople is an authentic, and very Canadian, way to spread the news that Subway is refreshing their menu and app, and it’s also a lot of fun,” says Caitlin Keeley, ECD at dentsumcgarrybowen. “The Eat Fresh Refresh means there’s always something new to try at Subway. They’re definitely serving those lines with footlong enthusiasm.”
In a cluttered media landscape, the Eat Fresh Refresh stands to break through the clutter and deliver top-of-mind awareness through a range of media channels and relevant platforms. The campaign is an integrated effort on-air and across social/digital channels to help amplify Subway’s message – a collaborative effort across dentsu agencies with the creative campaign led by dentsumcgarrybowen, media planning from Carat, and athlete search via MKTG. PR and influencer activations further amplified via Veritas.
A high impact media flight will put the Eat Fresh Refresh front and centre in the minds of consumers, with a strong mix of OOH and digital media buys that will take Subway’s new news into city centres and onto key platforms such as TikTok and Spotify.
“Today is a major milestone in our ongoing commitment to deliver Canadians the quality ingredients, amazing taste, and top-notch experience they expect from Subway,” said Doug Fry, Country Director at Subway Canada. “Canadians’ expectations for variety, selection and quality continues to evolve – as they should. We know because we asked. The Eat Fresh Refresh is more than just updates to our menu; it’s about showing Canadians we listen and push ourselves to be better by elevating our products and guest experience.” Launching April 25, this integrated the Eat Fresh Refresh is set to share all the changes coming to Subway in a fun and relevant way that is sure to reignite a love for Subway across Canada.
The refresh brings improvements to Subway Canada’s core menu, including the introduction of an all-new bread, new Canadian farm-raised proteins, innovative sauces, and tasty toppings. Canadians can now visit their nearest Subway to discover five all-new, chef-inspired sandwiches:
- Chicken Bacon & Peppercorn Ranch: Featuring Canadian farm-raised chicken and Maplewood smoked bacon, topped with crispy veggies and the zesty kick of the new Peppercorn Ranch dressing.
- Smashed Avocado & Turkey: Served on new toasted Classic Italian bread with Canadian farm-raised deli-style turkey and real Canadian cheddar, topped with smooth smashed avocado, lettuce, spinach, tomato, cucumber, green pepper, red onion, and drizzled with mayonnaise.
- Great Canadian Club: Featuring deli-style turkey and ham and Maplewood smoked bacon, made from Canadian farm-raised turkey and pork. The Great Canadian Club is topped with lettuce, tomato, and Smoky Honey Mustard sauce.
- Maplewood Smoked Bacon & Ham: Served on new Classic Italian bread, topped with deli-style ham and bacon made from Canadian farm-raised pork, and Canadian cheddar. Once toasted, it's topped with lettuce, tomatoes, pickles, and red onion and drizzled with Smoky Honey Mustard and mayonnaise.
- Southwest Steak and Avocado: Featuring seasoned steak and new smashed avocado, topped with chipotle sauce, and given an extra kick with sweet and tangy banana peppers.
For More Information
Kate Dobrucki, VP, Communications, dentsu Canada
About dentsu international
Part of dentsu, dentsu international helps clients to win, keep and grow their best customers and achieve meaningful progress for their businesses. With best-in-class services and solutions in media, CXM, and creative, dentsu international operates in over 145 markets worldwide with more than 46,000 dedicated specialists. www.dentsu.com
About Subway® Restaurants
As one of the world's largest quick-service restaurant brands, Subway serves freshly made-to-order sandwiches, wraps, salads and bowls to millions of guests across more than 100 countries in more than 37,000 restaurants every day. Subway restaurants are owned and operated by Subway franchisees – a network that includes more than 20,000 dedicated entrepreneurs and small business owners – who are committed to delivering the best guest experience possible in their local communities.
Subway® is a Registered Trademark of Subway IP LLC. © 2022 Subway IP LLC